Small Group Workshop
The teacher is:
- listening to the students,
- collecting questions and asking
The teacher posts all questions so that students can spend time considering each idea.
The teacher develops a task analysis for each question identifying all prior knowledge as well as all new knowledge that the students will need to successfully reach the solution. It is important to develop several solution paths for each question as students may go about the solving the question in many different ways.
- investigating the empty popcorn bags,
- talking with their teammates about the kinds of popcorn they like, how much popcorn they could eat, when last they had popcorn, how much popcorn at the movies costs...
- recording all of their initial questions.
Over the next couple of days students read over each question, informally discussing which ones they'd like to try and how they might go about finding the solutions.